The National Community Pharmacists Association, founded in 1898 as the National Association of Retail Druggists (NARD), represents the pharmacist owners, managers, and employees of more than 22,000 independent community pharmacies across the United States. The nation's independent pharmacies, independent pharmacy franchises, and independent chains dispense nearly half of the nation's retail prescription medicines.
The nation's independent pharmacists are small business entrepreneurs and multifaceted health care providers who represent a vital part of the United States' health care delivery system. They have roots in America's communities. They are community leaders actively involved in community-oriented public health, civic, and volunteer projects. Many hold local elected offices; others serve as state legislators.
- We are dedicated to the continuing growth and prosperity of independent community pharmacy in the United States.
- We are the national pharmacy association representing the professional and proprietary interests of independent community pharmacists and will vigorously promote and defend those interests.
- We are committed to high-quality pharmacist care and to restoring, maintaining, and promoting the health and well-being of the public we serve.
- We believe in the inherent virtues of the American free enterprise system and will do all we can to ensure the ability of independent community pharmacists to compete in a free and fair marketplace.
- We value the right to petition the appropriate legislative and regulatory bodies to serve the needs of those we represent.
- We will utilize our resources to achieve these ends in an ethical and socially responsible manner.