NCPA 113th Annual Convention and Trade Exposition
Join us October 8-12 this year in Nashville, TN for NCPA's 113th Annual Convention and Trade Exposition to meet new friends, learn from experts and succeed in your profession.
Top Ten Reasons to Attend the NCPA Annual Convention in Nashville, TN
10) Location, location, location! Enjoy the special room rate NCPA has obtained at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel and be steps away from the convention while staying at this impressive property. This beautiful hotel features 9 acres of indoor gardens, cascading waterfalls and an indoor river complete with a river boat.
9) Meet the Student Leadership Council. NCPA has 16 students who complete a 2-year term on this national leadership council. SLC Members will be available to answer questions and share their experiences with NCPA student members.
8) Sit in on cutting-edge Continuing Education Sessions. Reinforce concepts already learned in school or learn new information.
7) The residency showcase is like no other. Learn about different community pharmacy residencies from schools all over the country. The opportunities these residencies have to offer are very diverse and students have the opportunity to talk with residency directors and current residents while learning more about the advantages of each program.
6) Participate in networking opportunities with other NCPA Student Chapters. From the Chapter Officers Breakfast to the evening student social, the NCPA Annual Convention is a great place to meet and get to know your future colleagues. Share projects that your chapter is involved in and get new ideas for chapter activities!
5) Learn more about what opportunities NCPA has to offer you as a student. From the NCPA Foundation Summer Internship Program and APPE rotations, to leadership positions, to opportunities to author articles in the America's Pharmacist magazine, NCPA has so many ways students can distinguish themselves and stand out from the rest.
4) Attend unique student programming, including a pharmacist niche panel and a session on how to write a business plan. Listen to independent pharmacists discuss innovative niche markets that have been successful in their store and opportunities and challenges they have had along the way.
3) Attend the new Business Plan Poster Session designed to recognize the time and effort invested in developing a business plan for the Good Neighbor Pharmacy NCPA Pruitt-Schutte Student Business Plan Competition. Meet and speak with participating 2011 Business Plan Competition teams and learn how YOU can get involved in the Competition next year!
2) The LIVE Good Neighbor Pharmacy NCPA Pruitt-Schutte Student Business Plan Competition is by far the highlight of the student programming! As you watch the top three teams compete, you will be impressed and amazed at the detail that went into developing the business plans. Keep in mind that this year's finalists may have been sitting in the audience last year thinking "maybe that could be me"! Get inspired!
And the number one reason to attend the NCPA Annual Convention:
1) Take advantage of the countless opportunities to network with independent pharmacists across the country! The NCPA Annual Convention is the perfect time to ask NCPA members how they became pharmacy owners, where they foresee the future of pharmacy and what you should be doing to get on the pathway to pharmacy ownership.
What are you waiting for? Register today for a discounted student rate of $150 for student members and $200 for non-student members.
Student Programming At-A-Glance
NCPA has lots of exciting activities planned for future pharmacy owners. Registered students may attend the entire convention, but will especially not want to miss the student-specific programming on Saturday, October 8 and Sunday, October 9 to include:
Saturday, October 8, 2011
FUTURE PHARMACISTS PROGRAMMING
Chapter Officer's Breakfast (Invitation Only)
Everyone knows breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Start off convention right! Nourish your brain by exchanging feedback and ideas with other student chapter officers, while enjoying a hot- plated breakfast. Your national NCPA Student Leadership Council will also provide you with information on how to make the most of your NCPA student chapter in the upcoming year.
Part 1 - Business Plan Basics: Student's Guide to Writing a Business Plan
Who better to get directions than from an expert? Learn the fundamentals of writing a business plan, beginning with advice on where to start. This session will help you gain confidence, while you acquire the tools necessary to develop a business plan for the Good Neighbor Pharmacy NCPA Pruitt-Schutte Student Business Plan Competition or your future practice.
Richard Jackson, PhD, Community Pharmacy Consulting
Part 2 - Junior Partnerships Demystified
Ownership provides you the freedom to pursue your personal, professional and financial goals by your rules – not someone else's. Yet, you may not be ready to take complete responsibility of a business on your own. Have you always wanted to own your pharmacy, but you have doubts, fears, and questions that hold you back? Ask away (or just listen in) as we demystify your reservations about junior partnerships and learn more about the opportunities it may bring you.
Richard Jackson, PhD, Community Pharmacy Consulting
Political Advocacy and You
NCPA has a motto: "Get into politics, or get out of pharmacy." Why? Because politics affects the way we, as future health providers, can or cannot practice and the services we provide. Who can advocate on the behalf of pharmacists better than we can? Learn how you can get politically involved and make a difference.
Speaker: Brian Caswell, RPh, Wolker Drug
Lunch and Meet & Greet with NCPA Student Leadership Council
Do you want to challenge yourself and evoke the leader in you on a national level? Join the current NCPA Student Leadership Council for lunch and learn more about the opportunity to serve as one of the next national student leaders.
Innovation in Community Pharmacy Compounding Panel
Learn first-hand about the unique compounding niches created by our panel of successful, innovative pharmacists. Acquire advice on how to cultivate a niche into a profitable service for a practice. Discover how these experts overcame challenges and barriers in developing their niches. Get your cogwheels turning and explore new possibilities of niches that compound patient needs and your personal interest.
Chris Simmons, RPh, PCCA
Lea Wolsoncroft, RPh, Kids Meds Pharmacy
Cheri Garvin, RPh, Leesburg Pharmacy
Good Neighbor Pharmacy NCPA Pruitt-Schutte Student Business Plan Competition
Sponsored by Good Neighbor Pharmacy, Pharmacists Mutual Companies, and the NCPA Foundation
Can you feel the excitement in the air? You won't want to miss the top three finalists—chosen out of 35 schools and colleges of pharmacy—face off in our annual Business Plan Competition. Join in as Idaho State University, University of Buffalo, and University of Oklahoma showcase their ideas before you and a panel of live judges! Cash prizes and a trip to the 2012 NCPA Multiple location Conference in Naples, FL are at stake. Support your school or pick a team to root for in this event, which has been the highlight of student programming for the past seven years.
5:30pm - 6:30pm
Future Pharmacists Networking Reception
Kick off convention networking with your colleagues and friends, old and new. Join your peers for refreshments, door prizes, and good old fashioned fun!
Sunday, October 9, 2011
Student Business Plan Poster Session, Exhibit Hall
NEW this year! Have you thought about participating in the business plan competition, but don't know where to start? Do you have expertise and experiences to contribute? Take a stroll through this session as the 2011 business plan participants showcase their work. You'll walk away thinking of new ways to advance services and practices of community pharmacy.
Community Pharmacy Residency Showcase, Exhibit Hall
Have you ever considered a community pharmacy residency or want to learn more about them? Discover how community pharmacy residencies are breaking the mold. Learn what opportunities of enhancing patient care, management, and clinical skills await you. Talk to current and past community pharmacy residents and resident preceptors from across the nation. Inquire about their programs and how they can help you stand out from others. Come with an open mind and prepare to walk away enlightened.
NCPA Foundation Awards Ceremony and Reception
Sponsored by the NCPA Foundation
Come one, come all! Celebrate the success of your colleagues and instructors as they are recognized for their achievements. Support your fellow classmates and faculty members as we award scholarship winners, Good Neighbor Pharmacy NCPA Pruitt-Schutte Student Business Plan Competition participants, faculty liaison of the year, and chapter of the year.